Hello/Bonjour! Salutations in Canada's both official languages (English & French)
Greetings from Big Hawk Lake, Ontario, Canada! I'm eager and delighted this week (and next week) to share Canada's autumn beauty as the leaves turn different and vibrant colors. I'm blessed to have five nights to be immersed in what has to be one of the most colorful autumn seasons ever!
Thank you for taking your time to share in my last week's adventures. I continue to blog in my home country as a way to entice all my readers to visit Canada and for my fellow Canadians to discover our country's exquisite and diverse beauty. I'm grateful for your participation in my continuing life's journey. As my good friends Joyce and Amanda from Sun Moon Lake in Taiwan have described my travels - David is writing his story. Welcome to the latest chapter in my story!
How was your week? What memorable moments did you experience? Create for others? What are you most grateful for in the past week? All we have is the present moment; ensure you make the most of that moment before it disappears.
Over the past week, I've developed a deeper appreciation (and gratefulness) for everyone in my life who graciously contributes to the blessed life's journey I am traveling. The universe has surrounded me, wherever I travel, with people who are kind, thoughtful, generous and generous with their time and hospitality. Every day brings a new act of kindness into my life which enriches my life and the 'story' I'm writing. Every day I'm invited to contribute to the individual stories being written by the friends, acquaintances and people who I meet casually. So many memorable moments created each and every day. I sincerely hope each of you are also equally fortunate in receiving blessings as I do.
 |
CN Tower from base
|
I have had an unexpected challenge in adjusting to my new pace of life since arriving in Canada. It's taken almost a week for me to develop what I would refer to as a productive lifestyle. I've missed a week of potential sunrises cuz I lacked the motivation to get up at 6:30 am and make the 15 minute drive to the shore of Lake Ontario (Lake America?). The travesty about missing the sunrise is the fact I was awake; I just needed to get dressed and make the drive. My lethargy reminded me of how I used to feel at the end of a busy project. The sudden absence of frenetic activity was more than noticeable. I learned, over time, how to be prepared for the change in activity to minimize the 'inactivity' I used to experience. A life lesson that needed to be relearned. My level of travel activity is comparable to a busy project I used to work on/manage.
I did manage, since my return, to be motivated enough to have my:
- Eyes checked - all good; ordered new frames
- Achilles tendon looked at by a specialist - need to buy a massage gun/orthotics/exercises
- Teeth cleaned - minor repair work required; scheduled time in late November to have my crown fixed (front tooth - right side). Biting into an apple safely will soon be back in my life
May the universe bring endless blessings and moments of magic 🦄 to you and your loved ones in the week ahead. 🙏
Travel Administration
Discounted prices on Air India flights for anyone flying out of Pearson International Airport:
I subscribe to Chris Myden YYZ Deals -
click here to subscribe. I discovered the cheap airfares to Seychelles through YYZ Deals.
Travel Update
I'm now holding to my 'new' travel itinerary where I return to Toronto, from Eau Claire, on October 18, then travel to Istanbul from Toronto on the evening of October 19. I return to Toronto on October 28 early evening for two nights, then fly to Barbados at 8 am on October 30.
Travel Maps
I rented a car from SIXT car rentals when I returned to Canada so the majority of involves me driving between my destinations. I did take
GO Transit train from Clarkson Station to Union Station during the week to reach downtown Toronto to avoid the traffic and parking nightmare in the core area. Seniors, like me, enjoy a 50% discount on fares ($4.40 CAD/ride).
Canada: September 14, 2026 to October 2, 2026
Toronto Central Business District (CBD)
I had lunch plans during the week with Daniel, a long time friend, in Toronto's downtown Chinatown area. I decided to visit Toronto's CBD so I could share a few photos of my country's largest city. Since I also worked in the city's financial district for several years, I would have a chance to visit my old stomping grounds. Highlights in the core area, all within easy walking distance, include the
Rogers Centre (where the National League Baseball Blue Jays play), the
CN Tower (Western world's highest viewing platform),
Yonge Street (world's longest street - 54 km/33.5 mi.),
Bay Street (Toronto's Financial District), the iconic
Royal York Hotel,
Union Station and, of course, the
Hockey Hall of Fame. Sadly, lunch was cancelled due to Daniel being ill.
 |
| CN Tower from University Avenue |
 |
| University Ave northbound |
 |
| CN Tower |
 |
| CN Tower |
 |
| Rogers Centre - Blue Jays Office |
 |
| CN Tower from base |
 |
| Rogers Centre |
 |
Canadian Broadcasting Corporation - Canada's National Broadcaster |
 |
| Front Street looking east |
 |
| Royal York west side |
 |
| Royal York front |
 |
Steakhouse bull - reminded me of the bull on Wall Street in New York City |
 |
Bay Street looking north from Front Street |
 |
| Yonge Street looking north from Front Street |
 |
Yonge Street looking south to Lake Ontario |
 |
Royal Bank of Canada - there's gold leaf in those windows! |
 |
| CN Tower/Front Street looking westward |
I LOVE apple picking! I've visited an apple orchard for almost the last twenty years. This year, I was a repeat visitor to Wheelbarrow Orchards where I picked a 4.5 kg/10 lb bag of Honey Crisp apples on a sunny and warm afternoon. I subsequently gave the bag of apples to the hotel cleaning staff. I did keep four apples for myself. In past years, when I had my own place, I would make apple crumble and baked apples which I would also share.
My challenge with apple picking is that the time it takes to pick apples is far too short! I love the act of picking apples. Be careful to preserve the apple tree branch by turning the apple to separate it from the branch. It's over in a matter of minutes. Most often, it takes more time to reach the part of the orchard where you pick the apples. Another key 1st world problem to resolve! The other challenge is avoiding all enticing items, like apple pie, for sale in the orchard store. I successfully navigated clear of the sweets in the store this year.
 |
| Orchard entrance |
 |
| Loads of parking for a busy day |
 |
| Orchard map/apples ready for picking |
 |
| Orchard Store - beware! |
 |
| Orchard on right |
 |
| Working piano (may need tuning) in corn maze |
 |
| Orchard |
 |
| Orchard |
 |
| Reservoir near orchard |
 |
| Canadian Geese |
 |
| Honey Crisp ready for picking |
 |
| Honey Crisp ready for picking |
 |
| Honey Crisp ready for picking |
Friend Dave's Cottage - Big Hawk Lake
The universe shone its benevolence brightly upon my world during the week. I received, and graciously accepted, the most kind and thoughtful invitation to visit with Dave at his Big Hawk Lake cottage on Saturday. I was also invited to stay at the cottage, on my own, until a day of my choosing (Thursday) during the following week. Five nights in a wilderness paradise!
I was early for the Minden's Farmer's Market on Saturday so I missed enjoying Taco Mamas delicious food. I did visit with Dulce and her daughter Anabel, the owner/operators of Taco Mamas, long enough to learn they were at Haliburton's Farmers Market on the following Tuesday so I'm set. I did manage to meet Christine, 61 years young, who was setting up her skin care booth at the market. She got into selling skin care products because her habit of buying skin products became too expensive. I also met Corrine who was running a booth on behalf of the Farmer's Market administration team that was promoting the cultural events happening on Saturday at the market and around Minden.
Country Bakery was my final visit before reaching the lake. I had a brief chat with Sue, the owner. I learned from a bakery employee that the
Country Bakery article (Paradise Found In Carnarvon, Ontario) that I paid to be published earlier this year had received local attention. The employee was planning to frame a copy of the article for display in the store. I done good!
 |
Dave's cottage - about three hours northeast of Toronto |
 |
| Fall colors - from cottage deck |
 |
| Fall colors in late afternoon sun |
 |
| Fall colors up close |
 |
| Trees behind cottage |
 |
| Trees behind cottage |
Sunrise
At long last, I returned to the shores of Lake Ontario to witness the daily sunrise. It took me nine nights at my hotel before I organized myself to drive to the lake in time for the sunrise. And, if I was lucky, I would also meet the good friends I have who frequent the lakeside walkways. The sky always seems to be filled with amazing colors about 20 - 25 minutes prior to sunrise. The colors fade gradually as we near the sun peeking over the horizon.
September 23
While I missed the moment when the sun broke over the horizon, I did capture the horizon just before sunrise and just after sunrise. I figure that counts for something!
September 24
We had a brilliant sunrise for this clear sky morning!
September 25
The clouds worked their magic with the morning sky as the sun rose above the horizon.
Evening Sky
I was back in the vicinity of the lake on Friday evening so I had a chance to catch the evening sky over Lake Ontario as well. The moon was is spectacular form in the early evening sky!
September 25
Sky over Lake Ontario.
September 26
There is clear skies on Saturday evening, my first night at the cottage. The moon, at is reflection, was stunning over the quiet lake water. The sounds of silence were a welcome break (retreat) from the city.
Friends
I was blessed to meet with several friends in the past two weeks. Friendship is a special gift which needs nurturing and tender loving care. The following snippets of my dear friends are brief glimpses into a few of the treasured friendships I have in the Toronto area. I would need days or weeks of conversation to explore the richness, the texture, the color and the intricacies of each friendship. There are many interrelationships that weave these friendships together for me.
Mike - Lunch
Mike is a long time friend who I've known from my days working at Royal Bank of Canada. Mike's last RBC role was the SVP for the discount brokerage business. Subsequent to our RBC days we were paired up to deliver a two day management/leadership course for the Canadian Securities Institute. I've been blessed with connecting regularly with Mike throughout my travels. We had a wonderful catch up conversation while enjoying a lovely lunch.
Sajee, Chand & Tiara - Home cooked dinner
I met Sajee while providing consulting support for her organization - Resource Productivity and Recovery Authority (RPRA). A story she shared about her father's desire to live a minimalist lifestyle was a key trigger for my current and evolving lifestyle. Sajee's kindness, generosity, hospitality and friendship are invaluable blessings in my life. Sajee and I have stayed in touch throughout my travels. Sajee's sister, Lakshi, in Colombo was a savior during my first trip to Sri Lanka. She agreed to receive packages critical to my travels and arrange to meet with me to give me the packages. Our lives have this beautiful web for which I am most grateful for.
Sajee invited me to join her and her family (husband- Chand & daughter - Tiara) for an amazing evening of hospitality. Great conversation, great food and unending mutual support. Thank you to the universe for this incredible blessing!
 |
| Chand, Tiara & Sajee |
Heather - Lakeshore conversation
I met Heather and her husband Ken on a walk along the Lake Ontario lakeshore. I offered her and her husband pieces of Purdy's dark chocolate which Heather graciously accepted. We've had an ongoing conversation over the last several years. She also gratefully accepted the home baked peanut butter cookies I offered her. She is the only one in her home who likes peanut butter cookies! Heather and Ken are off on a trip to Norway in the next few weeks. I'll have a chance to learn about her vacation in late November when I'm back in Canada (return from Barbados).
Steph - Coffee
My relationship with Steph goes back several years when I was providing consulting support to Centric Health, her employer at the time. Subsequent to my Centric Health engagement, Steph decided to pursue an independent consulting practice which I was blessed to support her with. We have stayed in touch over the years. Steph introduced me to RPRA where she was providing consulting support (and where I met Sajee). My initial three month contract transformed into an engagement that lasted over two years.
We had the most amazing and personal conversation which I treasure. I'm grateful for the mutual support we share.
Jes - Dim Sum
Jes and his wife, Julie, are dear friends I met on my sunrise walk along the shores of Lake Ontario. Jes and I share a common perspective on life, gratitude and the blessings we have. I've been Jes' guest at his
Humanistic Buddhist Temple in Mississauga where he is an active volunteer, supported the global translation of Buddhist content, and a lecturer/facilitator of locally based courses. Jes is the person who first suggested that my lifestyle meant I must be a 'global citizen'. He also recently shared the following advice - '
Stay simple and have a heart of a child but the wisdom of Plato or Confucius.'
We had the most delicious meal and an engrossing conversation about a couple chapters from Jes' fascinating work history. We may have the chance to have Heather join us for lunch in November.
Deena & Fraser - Coffee
My dear friends Deena & Fraser became part of my story during my frequent visits to the bar at the Archtop Cafe & Bar. Both Fraser and Deena have become larger than life in my story through the richness (and challenges) they have shared over the years. Salt of the earth individuals who love each other deeply along with their two grandchildren. I'm humbled by the amount of real life experience I have gathered though our friendship.
What a lovely and engaging conversation we had. Fraser had to leave during our conversation for his DJ job at a local establishment. Yup, Fraser is a full-time DJ.
Next Week
I return to Mississauga on Thursday afternoon, meet with Joy (friend/work colleague), and revisit my storage locker to prep for my trip to Eau Claire, Wisconsin, On Friday, I board an afternoon flight to Minneapolis (Air Canada to Chicago O'Hare, United Airlines to Minneapolis), board a shuttle from Minneapolis Airport to Eau Claire, and take an Uber to my hotel from the shuttle drop off point. On Saturday, I'm attending my Scottish Rite October Reunion (full day) as well as figure out how to pick up a vehicle from Enterprise Car Rental.
Comments
Post a Comment