Kazakhstan/Uzbekistan/Kyrgyzstan - Week of July 19, 2026

Privet! Salam! Hello!

Greetings from Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan's capital! 

Hot, sunny and dry weather continues unabated! Best advice - better to visit in spring (April - June) or in the fall (September/October) if you want to avoid the heat! Mid day temperature range in the mid 30's (mid 90's F). You'll definitely have cooler weather if you plan to trek at higher elevations in the beautiful mountains that comprise 90% of this country.

How have you been? Where have you traveled in the past few weeks? What new friends have you met? The golden rule I follow is most people do want to talk with you, they are just waiting for to start the conversation. Mentioning the weather is an innocent way to start you on your way to making a new friend!

I received an incredible blessing when I arrived at my Bishkek hotel. The hotel receptionist, Flower (that's what her name translates to in English), quickly helped me sort out the room booking error I had made. I had made my reservation for the two days starting on Sunday instead of Saturday as I intended. She offered to change my reservation as well as keep the same discounted rate ($25 USD saving) I had in the original booking. We accomplished this change entirely through the use of her and my translation applications.  

Museum dome/balcony overlooking Osh

I'm having my eyes opened to why many people I've met in my travels have 'The Stans' high on their list of countries to visit. The people's hospitality, topography, history and food in both Uzbekistan and Kyrgyzstan have been outstanding. I think the lack of knowledge about this part of the world, at least for me and a few other people I've met, creates angst about visiting here. On the language front, English is less commonly spoken outside the main businesses in the larger cities. Knowing a few words in Russian can go a long way in your travels here. You may have to adjust your public transportation  expectations which is somewhat dependent on the country you're visiting. For example, you are more likely to be using mini buses (marshutkas) and shared taxis to travel within Kyrgyzstan. Uzbekistan has a developed train system including high speed rail connection as highlighted in this blog. BTW - this is also a less expensive region for food, travel and accommodation if that is of interest to you. 

My heartfelt thanks to my friends Meruyert and Menslu from Astana, whom I met in Maldives, for their kind invitation to host me in Astana. Their generous offer and thoughtfulness brought the blessing of spurring my interest to learn about and explore Central Asia! I'm so excited about meeting up with Meruyert and Menslu in Astana on August 3!

May the universe bring endless blessings and moments of magic 🦄  to you and your loved ones in the week ahead. 🙏

Travel Administration

I've now experienced my first adventure crossing between two countries while traveling on a train. Heads up for anyone traveling to Uzbekistan. The border control people are vigilant in examining your luggage for medication(s) that may have narcotics. They are also interested if you have a drone in your possession. The agent ,who went through my luggage, took a photo of the anti-nausea/diarrhea medication I carry and asked Chat GPT to identify what ingredients were in the medication. AI being used to supplement the border control team's search capabilities. 

Travel Update

My trip to the Seychelles is now booked. I leave Toronto on November 27, returning on December 26. I've also settled on traveling to Cappadocia and Antalya in Turkey before heading to Albania and Egypt. I fly to Cappadocia, from Almaty, Kazakhstan, on August 18. I'll fly from Antalya to Tirana, Albania on/or about August 26. 

Travel Maps

Three countries in one week! The blessing, traveling on a Canadian passport, is being allowed to stay in each country for up to 30 days without a visa and without paying any entry fees!
  • Train from Almaty, Kazakhstan to Tashkent, Uzbekistan
  • Train from Tashkent, Uzbekistan to Andijan, Uzbekistan
  • Minibus from Andijan, Uzbekistan to Dostuk KGZ-UZ Border crossing
  • Walk across border to Kyrgyzstan
  • Take taxi to my Osh apartment
Kazakhstan: July 18 to 19, 2026

Intercountry Travel: Almaty, Kazakhstan to Tashkent, Uzbekistan - July 19

Uzbekistan: July 19 - July 22

Intercountry Travel: Andijan, Uzbekistan to Osh, Kyrgyzstan - July 22

Kyrgyzstan: July 22 - August 3, 2026


Uzbekistan

I confess to knowing absolutely zilch about this country I was visiting. I did learn about the country's significant historical importance as part of the Silk Road from a fellow passenger on the flight from Ulaanbaatar to Almaty. Unfortunately, my travels were too brief to visit cities of Bukhara and Samarkand which are renown for their role in the Silk Road. 

It was a sweltering 45C (113F) when we arrived about mid-day in Tashkent. I had the pleasure of walking with Jun, a South Korean university student exploring Central Asia, whom I met in the Almaty-2 train station. Yes, I decided to make the 15 minute walk to my hotel in the heat! 

My initial impression of Tashkent and Andijan through my three day visit was very positive. I like the people, the food and overall vibe. The added bonus is that accommodation and meals are relatively inexpensive. 

The Uzbeks are conscious about security around train stations and metro stations unlike most countries I've visited to date. Your bags in the metro are subject to search. The train stations have large luggage scanners to examine the contents. You do need to allocate a little extra time in your travels to account for the extra attention. 

Tashkent

I had one full day to explore Tashkent. Their metro system did make getting around much easier in the 40C+ weather. Lots of history, museums and mosques to visit if you are interested. The Uzbeks drive on the right side of the road, the morally correct side I might add (inside joke with my friend Barry!)

I focused on visiting a few key tourist destinations given the extreme heat. Out I went to explore Tashkent with my sunscreen protection slathered on and my two bottles of water. 

Notice the spelleing - Toshkent!

Tashkent Metro

Tashkent's metro stations are famous for their beautiful architecture. The link above has more metro info and station photos. Please note there is security checkpoints at all stations where your bags are subject to search. The cost/per ride on the metro is about 20 cents Cdn! You simply tap your credit card or use a metro pass and you're on your way! Be prepared with a metro map to help you figure out which side of the platform your next train is departing from. There is only one sign at the platform level to assist you. Overhead sign boards with train arrival/departure times are completely missing. Just listen for the train approaching and you'll be fine!

And the platforms were so much cooler than being in the heat outside!


Work of art

Train directional information - only the one sign!












Hazrati Imam complex

'The Hazrati Imam complex (Uzbek: Hazrati Imom majmuasi), is a religious-heritage architectural ensemble in the old city of Tashkent, Uzbekistan. It centers around the tomb of Abu Bakr Muhammad ibn Ali ibn Ismail al-Kaffal ash-Shashi (often shortened to Kaffal Shashi or Hazrati Imam), a celebrated Islamic scholar, and comprises mosques, madrasahs, mausoleums, libraries, and more.'

Impressive grouping of buildings to visit. The colors and detail are beautiful. I did notice a armored vehicle stationed near the mosque's main entrance. 







Trying to be artistic - vendor refused
to move his cart for my photo!
































Chorsu Bazaar

About a thirty minute walk away was the Chorsu Bazaar. I meandered through a totally revitalized area adjacent to the area where the mosque was and leading to the bazaar. Apologies for the lack of photos. A bazaar is a bazaar - lots of small shops, lots of people walking about, plenty of places to buy local food and drink. 

Walkway leading away from mosque


Interesting archway



Bazaar 'food court'

Fountain adjacent to bazaar and metro
station. Surprised people refrained
from jumping in to cool off!
























Tashkent Tower

Reminder to self - do check on public building opening hours, especially if it is a Monday! I showed up at the Tower at noon only to discover the Tower opened at 2 pm. Disappointing! Oh well, good time to make my way to enjoy some traditional Uzbek food for lunch. 

Local cuisine

My introduction to Uzbek traditional cuisine was an extraordinary gift from Aygerim who worked as part of my hotel's reception team. You'll meet her, and two of her colleagues, in the Uzbekistan Friends section below.

Let me introduce you to Besh Qozon Glinka, a chain of traditional food restaurants you must visit at least once when you are in Tashkent. The main dish on the menu is plov (pilaf). Here, it is prepared by the best chefs in the city, following the traditional Uzbek recipe, cooked in large cast-iron cauldrons.

I was blessed that my hotel was a 15 minute walk from the local restaurant. An English speaking waiter made his way to explain the menu options and take my order. What an amazing dining experience! Exactly what I was looking for!

Plov













My Monday afternoon lunch experience Boboy Shevchenko restaurant was equally delicious. The main dish was Kazan Kebabs with Samsa Olot as my appetizer! I love the Uzbek food I sampled!


Location so I can find
my heavenly cuisine!

Menu screen captures to
remind me what to order





Comca Onot (Samsa Olot)

Kazan Kebabs



































Enroute to Andijan

What's life without a little drama, right?! I unintentionally brought drama into my travel life on Tuesday morning by going to the wrong station to catch my train for Andijan. A central station ticket agent advised me I was in the wrong place. The right station to be at was about 7 km away. 

OMG! I did have about an hour to find my way to the correct station. I approached a taxi driver who was dropping off passengers to give me a ride to the right train. He agreed, but not until a station porter admonished him. While I might have paid more than I should have, I got to my destination with lots of time to spare. The fare, even at its inflated cost, was less than $5 Cdn. 

The next thing that had to be sorted out was the four person compartment I was assigned to. The compartment was occupied by a mother and her three children. Suddenly, there was a flurry of activity orchestrated by the train staff whereby the family disappeared and two men appeared in their place. My new companions for the six hour train ride to Andijan!

The photo series below is meant to highlight the changing landscape as we approached Andijan which is located in the Ferghana Valley. 


































Andijan

I made Andijan an overnight stay primarily to avoid traveling between Tashkent and crossing the border to reach Osh in Kyrgyzstan in one day. I needed soak time to confirm my travel arrangements and what I needed to cross the border. The idea of trying to figure all of this on the fly was disconcerting and, by the way, unnecessary! 

The link in this section's heading above has more info about Andijan if you want to learn more. I walked to the bus station (about 500 m/.3 mi) to figure out my transportation needs for the following day's journey (about a 75 minute ride) to the border. 

Talk about good fortune about when I arrived weather wise! The hotel staff mentioned that the temperature on the previous day was in the mid 50's C (~ 130 F). Yikes! The mid 30's on my arrival day was welcome along with the anticipated rain overnight!

Statue Of Z.M. Babur
Mughal Empire Founder


Sign of the times

First time I've seen a gym with a focus on
armwrestling!

Meal

I managed to find a local restaurant that served plov. An employee at one restaurant I stopped appeared to be 'looked down his nose' at the idea of serving plov. How pedestrian! As I was exiting the restaurant, another employee approached me to point out a restaurant down the street where he thought I could find the meal I was looking for. What a kind gesture! Thank you to the universe for rescuing the day!

Davron Milliy Taomlar -
my restaurant

Fresh salad with cilantro - so good

Plov

























Friends

Pardon the lack of photos of my three new friends at the Ramada Encore hotel in Tashkent. Mr. Jalaliddin, Ms. Arina and Ms. Aygerim created such a wonderfully positive impression during my stay. Ms. Aygerim was the universe's gift to me exploring Uzbekistan national food easily. 

Mr. Jalaliddin, the shift supervisor, went out of his way to make me feel welcome, explain the hotel's amenities and ensure I had support to operate the room's a/c - it was 45C (113F) when I arrived at the hotel. Ms. Arina had the biggest smile for me that one could imagine in spite of the fact that Mr. Jalaliddin was assisting me with my check-in. She was all personality every time I saw or interacted with her. An important blessing was their English fluency which made my life so very simple. 

Ms Aygerim was pure magic. She identified two local restaurants close to the hotel where I could eat national food. She located the restaurants on my phone's Google Maps so I could find my way readily. She also went through the menu of the second restaurant to identify specific dishes I should try. Both meals were outstanding. 

The most memorable moment of all happened in my last conversation with Ms. Aygerim. When I asked her to spell her name on a piece of paper to help me remember/spell correctly in my review, she mentioned what her name meant in Uzbek. It meant 'in the beauty of the moon. What an incredibly beautiful name. The added magic was her facial expression and mannerisms as she shared the meaning of her name; she was sharing something very special and meaningful for her. I am so very blessed to have people, like Aygerim, willingly share these treasured thoughts!

'Aygerim is a beautiful and unique name of Turkic origin, meaning "moonlight" or "bright moon". Primarily used in Kazakhstan and other Turkic-speaking regions, it is a feminine name, embodying grace, beauty, and illumination. The name holds cultural significance in Turkic traditions, symbolizing hope, purity, and celestial beauty.

Aygerim is often perceived as a charming and elegant name, evoking positive connotations of light, grace, and beauty. It is easy to pronounce and write, with occasional misspellings. While not widely known globally, Aygerim is increasingly gaining popularity among families seeking a unique and meaningful name for their daughters.'

Uzbekistan to Kyrgyzstan Border Crossing

I think this is the first time in my travels where I had to walk across the border between two countries. I was successful in finding a minibus to take me from Andijan to the Uzbekistan border. The small aside here was the hotel staff were trying to convince me to take a shared taxi ride to the border because the minibus was unreliable. I visited the bus station, which was near to my hotel (intentionally), to sort out this part of my travel. A minibus departed hourly for the border at 1/5 the cost of a shared taxi. I was fortunate to get the last seat on the bus.

Crossing the border was relatively simple and straight forward. I checked out of Uzbekistan and checked into Kyrgyzstan without either border agent saying a single word to me. Thank goodness the rain had stopped by the time I reached the border. 

My transportation mini-drama started once I walked out of border control. My plan was to exchange some money, after which I would take bus #138 which would take me into the city. I made a small tactical error in responding to a taxi driver who wanted to give me a ride. He followed me to the currency exchange area. BTW - there is a long row of currency exchange kiosks on your right. I, surprisingly, got the market rate on my small amount of money. 

The driver wanted 500 soms ($8.03 Cdn) for the 7 km drive to my apartment which I felt was expensive. I made my way to where the bus was with my driver in tow.  All the while, I shared my landlord's phone number so the driver made contact with them. I was also having an issue with my Kyrgyzstan eSim connecting with the network so I was unable to connect with Google Maps. So I now find myself in the least favorable position. My taxi driver is speaking with the bus driver about my situation. Suddenly the bus driver motions that it's a bad idea for me to take his bus and he leaves. Out of options and frustrated, we agree to 400 soms ($6.42 Cdn) for the ride which about 200 soms more than I have (the bus was only 15 soms). While we are enroute to my apartment, my phone connects with the network giving my access to Google Maps and Google Translate. We stop at an ATM so I can get enough money to pay my fare. 

The end result is surprising, in a good way. I get safely to my new temporary home, my driver only charges me 300 soms ($4.82 Cdn) for the ride, delivers me to the apartment building where the owner's daughter is waiting to take me to my new place. Much to do about nothing!

Osh

'Osh is the oldest city in Kyrgyzstan and one of the oldest in Central Asia, with a continuously inhabited history spanning over 3,000 years as a vital Silk Road trading hub. At its heart stands Sulayman-Too, a sacred mountain and UNESCO World Heritage Site that has drawn Islamic pilgrims for centuries — the only site of its kind in the country.'

My primary reason for visiting Osh was to meet up with Jane, the woman I met at Hotel Everest View in Nepal earlier this year. Jane is a mountain climber who is working her way to mastering an 8,000 m peak one day soon. She was in Kyrgyzstan for an ascent on Lenin Peak, a 7,000 m peak, that mountain climbers challenge as they prepare the the tallest peaks in the world. I was blessed with some flexibility in my travel plans to reach Osh which introduced me to Uzbekistan and a part of Kyrgyzstan I would have likely missed out on because of where it is located. It takes effort (or a short plane ride) to reach Osh. 

I originally booked three nights in Osh with the intention to travel to Arslanbob, home of the world's largest walnut forest and two waterfalls for a two night stay. I dropped these travel plans when I was unable to find accommodations I would be happy staying at. I did reach out, unsuccessfully, to the Community Based Tourism (CBT) office in Arslanbob to help me with finding accommodation.  My added challenge would be organizing my onward transportation to Bishkek. Sometimes where there is a mole hill, I can easily create a mountain of challenges to dissuade myself from doing something. 

Three nights is lots of time to explore Osh. In retrospect, Osh would have been a good place to transition to explore Uzbekistan by following the historic cities associated with the Silk Road. I happened to do the trip in the opposite direction along with my ignorance about Uzbekistan's importance in the Silk Road history. 

Alisher Navai Park

This park was going to be where Jane and I met on Wednesday afternoon. It was central to our respective accommodations in Osh - about 1.3 km (less than a mile) from my apartment. The universe had much more unfortunate plans to prevent our meeting. Jane was struck by a car as she stepped onto the street to cross the road on her way to the park. Her injury was serious enough for Jane to the hospital for x rays. Thank goodness, nothing was broken given her plans to climb Lenin Peak. She had serious bruising that required bandaging and staying off her feet for a few days. As close as we came to meeting, the universe had alternate plans for each of us. Fingers crossed that Jane recovers fully so she can make her best effort to ascend Lenin Peak!

Now about this small park with rides and concessions that is welcome respite from the heat and city's hustle and bustle. The rides are primarily for youngsters while everyone can enjoy the food and ice cream that is available. The park was a wonderful place to take a break and people watch. 

Leading into parke

Rides

Park walkway

Ferris wheel 

























Sulaiman-Too

'This mountain is thought by some researchers and historians to be the famous landmark of antiquity known as the "Stone Tower", which Claudius Ptolemy wrote about in his treatise Geography. The Stone Tower marked the midpoint on the ancient Silk Road, the overland trade route taken by caravans between Europe and Asia.

Sulayman (Solomon) is a prophet in the Qur'an, and the mountain contains a shrine that supposedly marks his grave. Women who ascend to the shrine on top and crawl though an opening across the holy rock will, according to legend, give birth to healthy children.'

Great hike to take on a clear, sunny day with a fair breeze blowing helping to keep everyone cool. The Dom Babura mosque is also known as Mausoleum of Babur-Namey is located at the hike's highest point. This is the most important attraction on the mountain for locals. There are great views from the this vantage point on the trail. The path then leads down the mountain's opposite side. I chose to return the same way I came up. 

The Gates of Fire (commemorating
Zoroastrian fire temple on mountain)

One of the five peaks

Another of the five peaks

Osh with mountains in the distance

Osh


Another peak








Looking up at the mountainside where the 
trail ascends

Dom Babura mosque - functioning mosque









































































Sulaiman Sacred Mountain Museum

'The present museum building was completed during the Soviet era in 1978 to celebrate the 3,000th anniversary of the city of Osh. It was carved inside the Sulayman Mountain, which became a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 2009. The structure represents a glassed concrete arch that closes the entry to the cave.'

Yes, I did visit the museum out of sheer curiosity at a cost of 70 soms - about $1.14 Cdn (cash only please). I met some interesting local people by offering to take a group photo for them. My age and nationality are consistently topics of interest!


Museum dome/balcony overlooking city

Museum entrance - below dome

Entrance and dome


Caves within museum




Lots of history - in Russian, that is

Loved the colors in the hanging rug































































Sunset - July 24, 2026

And with deep gratitude, I witness a beautiful sunset from my apartment's courtyard!























Osh to Bishkek Road Trip

My trip to Bishkek occupied a considerable amount of my thinking time while I was in Osh. I think it's my need for control showing up once again. I should have saved myself this thinking time by following my own best advice which is to trust the universe. 

My initial concern was getting to the bus station at 5 am for the 12 hour taxi ride to Bishkek. I wanted to start my road trip early during so I could enjoy the mountain scenery AND the safety of driving in the daylight. I had two challenges to deal with - pre-booking a taxi to the bus station and pre-booking a shared taxi. For booking the taxi, I was unable to access Yandex, a taxi app (similar to Uber), because I lacked a local number for account setup verification. Using Yandex was advised to avoid being overcharged along with ensuring a taxi's availability at 5 am. For booking the shared taxi, I was also unable to access Telegram (the app), which is used locally for booking shared taxis to Bishkek, for the same inability to verify my account without a local number. 

Everything came together on Friday, in spite of myself. I learned from my new friends Timo and Aktilek (see Friends below) that:
  • 2,500 soms/person for a shared taxi ride was a reasonable price, and 
  • there was an 'unofficial' bus station about 300 m from where my apartment was. 
Timo was an amazingly gracious man in his efforts to help me as I share in the Friends section. 

An additional challenge that surfaced on Friday was coordinating how I was going to return the apartment keys to the owners at 5 am. The universe to the rescue. The power in my apartment went off on Friday morning requiring the owners to make a visit to restore the power. The in-person visit facilitated arranging the early morning key return (without an additional upcharge thanks to the power outage inconvenience!)

Final step - showing up at the appointed location to negotiate my ride. Thank goodness there were cars and drivers ready to go at 5 am. I decided to buy the four seats instead of waiting for three other passengers. The driver and I settled on 11,000 soms; he wanted 12,000 and I offered 10,000. Definitely need to sharpen my negotiation skills. 

The driver and I agreed, through Google Translate, he should take smoke breaks instead of smoking in the car. Be warned - my driver lived up to the reputation that Kyrgyzstan driver have for driving aggressively. Breathtaking adventure from that perspective! Reminded me of a specific road trip in India, except there was significantly more traffic on the road in India. 

There are two mountain passes to navigate between Osh and Bishkek:
  • 3200 meters high Ala Bell pass, without a tunnel
  • 3200 meter high Too Ashuu pass with the almost 3 km poorly lit/ventilated Too Ashuu tunnel. The ascent/descent on hairpin curves (and multiple vehicles breakdowns) kept my adrenaline pumping at a steady rate. Thank goodness we had clear weather, no precipitation and relatively light traffic!
12 hours later, I was safely dropped off at my Bishkek hotel. Thank you to the universe! BTW - you can take an one hour flight to Bishkek from Osh. The photos below give you a hint of what you are missing if you take the flight!

Enjoy the photos!

A new (clear) day is dawning


Sunrise 




















Toilet/smoke break






Toktogul Reservoir

Toktogul Reservoir

Toktogul Reservoir


Toktogul Reservoir



Toktogul Reservoir





Amazing color and contours










Lagman for lunch


Snow in those mountains




Ascending Too Ashuu pass

Ascending Too Ashuu pass





Ascending Too Ashuu pass

Ascending Too Ashuu pass

Ascending Too Ashuu pass

Ascending Too Ashuu pass

Ascending Too Ashuu pass

Ascending Too Ashuu pass

Descending Too Ashuu pass







At the pass' base

























































































































Food

These puffed pastries, which are available everywhere, are filled with delicious ingredients. I discover what the ingredients are after I bite into what I purchased. In the photo below, the pastry on the right was filled with diced potato, the pastry on the left had chicken. Combine these pastries with a cup of chai (tea) and I had a meal. 



Flora

Pausing to enjoy these beautiful flowers as I make my way to Suliaman Too.











Friends

Tomi

I was checking out the coffee options (in Russian) at a cafe in front of my apartment building when the two cafe employees invited Timo, a fellow English speaking employee, to assist me with the translation. He confirmed what I had interpreted through some commonish words, like a word that looked somewhat like Americano. 

I was back at the cafe the next day asking Timo for his advice about taking a shared taxi to Bishkek. I learned that there was an 'unofficial' bus station in front of the car wash about 300 m from where we were. Great discovery as the official bus station was over five km (~ 3 mi) away. He also mentioned that there were groups on Telegram for booking rides that he had used in the past. I know about the Telegram groups, my issue was the language barrier and the lack of a local number to set up a Telegram account. He offered to help me as a key issue for him was my safety. Local taxi drivers are internationally renown for their aggressive (unsafe?) driving. After taking on the responsibility to find a driver through Telegram, he disappeared/reappeared with a friend who was willing to drive me if I left that day (Friday). Unfortunately, I had to decline the offer as my accommodation plans were set. I received a text from Tomi around 12:30 am advising he was unable to find a driver. He also followed with me around 10 am to confirm if I found a driver and was on my way to Bishkek! My gratitude to the universe for my amazing new friend's kindness and support! 🙏

Max & Alamity

I met these two friends while I was hiking in Sulaiman Too Park. I just had to make a comment about Max's cool socks. I was blessed that both of them spoke fluent English. Max had worked in New Jersey, USA (now back in Osh) and Alamity was living and working in Las Vegas, Nevada. When I asked them for their advice about taking a shared taxi to Bishkek, Alamity called her mother immediately for her advice which was to go to the bus station. Talk about hospitality! I met them a second time along the way. I kindly declined their offer to join them on the descent taking the path going down the opposite side of the 'mountain'. 

Our destination is in the background!

Aktilek

I met Aktilek and his two children in the apartment building elevator as I was heading to Alisher Navai Park. We had a brief conversation about where I was from and my plans to take a shared taxi to Bishkek on Saturday morning. He offered to help me if the need arose. We exchanged our WhatsApp numbers before I continued on my way. About 20 minutes later, I received a text from Aktilek offering to go for coffee which I accepted. We met at 4 pm. My newest friend bought American cars in Dubai, which he exported to Kyrgyzstan for resale. He shared how he had one car seized by the Dubai authorities as it had been reported stolen. His loss - $20,000 USD! He's been in this business since 2022. His father and I are the same age; he's 34 years young. 

Apartment building courtyard

Young Entrepreneurs

I stopped by this ice cream/drink table to inquire about the cost of an ice cream cone as I was heading to my apartment. Hard to resist ice cream (I succumbed) on a hot and sunny day. What made this stop interesting was the young women proudly shared that this was their business's first day. 
 
Congrats on your initiative!

Next Week

I hop on a bus to head east to Karakol on Monday morning for the next three nights. The bus follows along Issyk Kul's north shore. It's an endemic saline lake that is the second-largest mountain lake in the world behind Lake Titicaca in South America. It is at an altitude of 1,607 metres (5,272 ft) and reaches 668 metres (2,192 ft) in depth. I still need to finalize my plans for the remaining three days in the week. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Taiwan/Japan - Week of June 1, 2025

New Zealand (North Island) - Week of January 19, 2025

New Zealand (North Island)/Western Australia - Week of January 26, 2025