Kazakhstan - Week of August 9, 2026

Greetings from Almaty, Kazakstan!

Welcome to my last full week in Kazakhstan and my last stop in Central Asia! What a wonderful surprise exploring this part of our world has been!

I'm grateful to have you join in my adventures for this week! What adventures have you been involved with over the past week? Any opportunities for you to share a random act of kindness? What progress have you made with your personal challenge to stretch outside of your comfort zone? Remember that all we have is this moment, right now. We have to make the most of every moment we have!

I've truly enjoyed my time visiting Central Asia. Most cities I visited, except for sections of Osh, passed my basic 'level sidewalk without gaping sections missing' test. The city of Almaty is busy redoing its sidewalks to create engaging walking space. Lots of mature trees lining the clean streets, wide boulevards and green space everywhere. The people, the food, the lower cost than North America/ Europe, the amazing landscape, its history, and overall vibe contribute to Central Asia being an agreeable travel destination! I still advocate for North Americans to spend time exploring their own continent as the natural beauty is probably the best in the world. 

Sisters dressed up for photos; traditional
dresses are available for rent. I was blessed
their parents were delighted with my taking this photo!

I continue to meet the most extraordinary people wherever I travel. I'm grateful for their generosity, kindness and patience. Simple acts of kindness like the shared taxi driver who drove me to Shymkent from Turkistan waiting around for me to find the right amount of cash to pay for my fare. My ability to find the right cash for him was linked to the woman working in the pharmacy who agreed, through hand gestures, to exchange my 5,000 tenge note for 5 X 1,000 tenge notes after suddenly appearing in her store. The fact so many people can speak English have made my travels easy and simple. The universe provides its support continuously, each and every day. I suspect you are equally blessed to be immersed in this universal support. I've had to learn to keep an open heart so I can embrace the good that is coming my way. I'm also conscious to avoid reacting immediately to what I might initially perceive as an unfavorable action (unless it's life threatening, that is). The universe may be revealing the entire story over time so reacting too quickly may be to your detriment!

A personal reflection. I've noticed I can be inconsistent with my stated intention of avoiding museums, large cities and various historical sites. I do find visiting these sites interesting albeit I make very little effort to read or retain any information that maybe available. Part of my education happens in writing this weekly blog as I try to find relevant links to places I visited to provide you, the reader, with background information. Learning, after the fact, as it is. 

May the universe bring endless blessings and moments of magic 🦄  to you and your loved ones in the week ahead. 🙏

Travel Administration

Interesting food fact. I was unable to find peanut butter in both Kyrgyzstan and Kazakhstan whereas I found a 500 g container of crunchy peanut butter, my favorite, in Tashkent, Uzbekistan. Go figure. I like having peanut butter for a snack (with bread) and as a source of protein.

New airport fact. Almaty International Airport has easily accessible filtered water dispensers located near the public toilets. For every rule or common pattern that we try to establish you can always find exceptions. 

I remember the kindness of the information desk staff at the Kuching International Airport (Borneo, Malaysia) filling my water bottle when I asked for the location of the filtered water dispenser. The airport lacks that facility when I visited a few years ago. 

Travel Update

I'm working on my Albanian itinerary - with sincere thanks to Debra for sharing information from her recent visit. I'm also investigating the cost of a day trip to Alexandria, Egypt on September 13 as I now realize that it's a free day in my schedule. 

Travel Maps

My past week continued down the path of simplified travel. Day trip to Turkistan, overnight train ride from Shymkent to Almaty, and a two day group tour from Almaty. I was in Almaty to finish the week. 

Kazakhstan: August 3 to August 18, 2026

Shymkent

Decorative silo near train station
My primary reason for visiting Shymkent was for its proximity to Turkistan where I wanted to go on a day trip.

Train station and clock tower









Independence Park

I was busy exploring the city on foot on Sunday evening, in hot pursuit of an outdoor concert that I had been advised was happening at 7 pm. I intersected with the city's Independence Park, celebrating the country's independence from the Soviet Union in 1991, prior to reaching the concert venue. 

Park entrance




Celebratory monument
















Shymkent Citadel

'The citadel is the oldest territory of the city, covering the I-XIX centuries, where the ruler’s palace, the commander’s house, and the shopping area used to be located. Excavations from 2003 to 2004 proved the 2,200-year history of the city.'

When I reached the Shymkent Citadel, the concert venue for the Sunday night concert, I was advised by the security staff that I missed the event by a day. The concert was held the previous evening. Oh well. Heck, I was at the Citadel now, so I paid the nominal entrance fee and explored the historic site as the sun was setting. I think there was a total of ten visitors in the citadel during my visit which started around 6:15 pm (closing time was 7 pm).

Citadel entrance


Citadel map

Citadel walls



Excavations


Outdoor arena


Citadel walls


See - more camel statues

View of city from citadel walls

An important column with inscriptions





Artifacts

Artifacts

I have this fascination with textiles

Standing guard over the city

Open excavations



More artifacts


Love these textiles

Citadel wall











































































































































Ethnic Park Ken Baba

My hotel reception team was kind enough to highlight the Japanese garden within this park as a potential destination with a strong recommendation to visit at night to enjoy the light display. Great suggestion on the visit timing. The lighting made my experience considerably more enjoyable! Wonderful small paradise in the city where visitors can briefly immerse themselves in Japanese inspired beauty and serenity. 

I also discovered the main entertainment district along Tauke Khan Avenue during my 30 minute walk to the garden. Best of all, I found an ice cream kiosk to treat my sweet tooth!

Park entrance - from Tauke Khan Avenue



Greeting inside park entrance

Inside park entrance

Inside park entrance




Sisters dressed up for photos; traditional
dresses are available for rent

Toris


Japanese rock garden - note the design

Japanese lanterns

Black swans - I think

Japanese lanterns






























































Sunset - Sunday, August 9










Meal

Interesting story to accompany the meal in the photo below. I decided to visit a local restaurant where I had bought samsas over a two day period. The young woman serving me, who only spoke Kazakh, tried to share what the restaurant had to offer using Google Translate. After a couple minutes of initial frustration, she independently choose what I should have and had the cook prepare the meal you see below - noodles, vegetables and some rather chewy meat (undetermined). I had a glass of compote to complete my culinary delight! My motivation was to support a local business that was off the beaten track. 

My mystery meal

Friends - Shymkent (cont'd)

I return to share more info about Aida and Assel, the two hotel reception employees who help transform my Shymkent visit into a delightful experience. The starting point, as I mentioned last week, was Aida's discretion to overcome my Visa card's mysterious transaction limit. Aida, along with Assel, also highlighted the possible places I should visit using a paper map provided by the hotel. When I mentioned the Japanese Garden as a potential destination, Assel was quick to advise that a night visit was best to experience the lighting. 

Aida also shared on the following day, that it was her last shift as she was leaving for Milan to continue her master's program studies (international politics). I'm continually surprised at the information the people I meet choose to share. 

Assel was a godsend in helping me coordinate my shared taxi ride for my day trip to Turkistan. Thank goodness for her amazing English language skills. She booked my morning departure which went exactly as planned. She also agreed to schedule my return trip to Shymkent. All I had to do was contact her through WhatsApp with the time I wanted to return and my pick up location. Assel responded immediately when I contacted her to book my return trip which also went exactly as planned. I had the bonus of sitting in the front seat without having to pay extra. The front seat normally means a premium price. Benevolent universe intercedes on my behalf. 🙏

My two friends, along with the woman who cleaned my room, collaborated to provide me with coffee in my room. Tea is the go to drink in Kazakhstan so coffee is less likely to be in your room. Their solution to my coffee request was providing a jar of Jacobs instant coffee so I could have my morning fix. BTW - Jacobs is the better quality coffee in Kazakhstan meaning I was being treated very well. Thank you to the hotel staff for their resourcefulness and thoughtfulness! 😃 I am blessed!


Turkistan

'Archaeological evidence suggests the region now known as Turkistan dates back to the 4th century, with a formal settlement established around 490. Historically known as Yasy, the city rose to prominence due to its strategic location along the Great Silk Road. This position helped transform Turkistan into a flourishing centre for trade, learning and cultural exchange during its heyday between the **12th and 16th centuries.'

My day trip to Turkistan was helping me fill in the historical pieces of the Silk Road jigsaw puzzle I was slowly putting together. Osh, Kyrgyzstan was another piece in this puzzle I had managed to visit earlier. Two key pieces that remain outstanding (at least in the puzzle I'm assembling) are Samarkand and Bukhara which are located in Uzbekistan.  

Map of Yasawi historical grounds








The Mausoleum of Khoja Ahmed Yasawi 

'Located within the Azret Sultan Museum, the Mausoleum of Khoja Ahmed Yasawi is an architectural marvel that was built between 1389 and 1404 and remains unfinished. It was constructed for and subsequently named after Khoja Ahmed Yasawi. This renowned poet, philosopher and mystic helped spread the Sufi branch of Islam throughout the Turkic-speaking world. Following Yasawi's death in 1166, his resting placed served as sacred ground for Sufi Silk Road travellers.

"Here, we can admire more than 600 years of Muslim heritage," Meldekhanov said. "We can see the original fragments of the walls and even some original decorations from [the] 14th Century."

Inscribed on the Unesco World Heritage list, the tiled mausoleum towers 38.7m high and is capped with a turquoise dome that's the largest in Central Asia. Considered one of the best-preserved architectural feats from the Timurid Empire that ruled the area in the 14th Century, the 35-room mausoleum holds ancient Persian paintings, a carpeted mosque and intricate stonework mirroring that of the monument’s exterior. The structure was built near the conclusion of the Silk Road era, etching its 1,500-year architectural influence into its colourful mosaic tile.'

I discovered the mausoleum was closed due to ongoing renovations on the dome. Just my luck. I was wandering around the area when I further discovered there was a rear entrance to the mausoleum where you could see inside the building, albeit, the view was restricted. Good enough for me!

Mausoleum entrance



Mausoleum - side view





Dome under reconstruction









Central section of mausoleum



Central section of mausoleum

Small praying area

Khoja Ahmed Yasawi tomb

Original sections of building

Small praying area



Original tile, I think...




























































Mausoleum of Rabia Sultan Begum

Originally built in 1485, the mausoleum, for the wife of a 15th-century Timurid ruler, was later reconstructed but retains its beautiful character.

The building is  reconstruction; the original building was torn down in 1896 after falling into disrepair.





































Around the Complex

Lots of area to walk around and historical buildings to visit near the mausoleum. 

Something important covered by glass

Citadel walls

Friday mosque still in use

Those camel statues are everywhere

Hilvet Underground Mosque

Hilvet Underground Mosque

Hilvet Underground Mosque

Hilvet Underground Mosque

Hilvet Underground Mosque

Hilvet Underground Mosque

Oriental bath

Oriental bath




























































Khoja Ahmed Yasawi Mosque

'The New Khoja Ahmed Yasawi Mosque in Turkestan, inaugurated in April 2015, stands 800 meters south of the revered Mausoleum of Ahmed Yasawi, seamlessly complementing the architectural ensemble of the Azret Sultan complex. This project was generously funded by the Republic of Turkey.'

This mosque has 'art deco' like features on its exterior. I avoided going into the mosque based on the Google Review feedback I read. 















Friends - Turkistan

So, there I was waiting in the shade of this small kiosk as I waited for my shared taxi ride to arrive. Out of the blue, my newest friend appears and starts a conversation in his very limited English. Google Translate to the rescue. Saidazimov is a security guard for the shopping area nearby. He mentioned he learned English in school which has since been forgotten. He disappeared for a minute, reappearing with a chair so I could sit in the shade while I waited. How kind and thoughtful of him. BTW - he mentioned he was 63 after asking me how old I was. 

Four different photos below, capturing our four different poses!


























Enroute to Almaty

My overnight train from Shymkent was scheduled to depart at 22:12 with a scheduled arrival at 9:49 the following morning. The train arrival and departure announcements are in Kazakh so one does need to be resourceful with asking what platform the train departs from. Thankfully, there are fewer trains leaving at night so the chance for boarding the wrong train is significantly reduced.

I did meet a woman and her 18 year old daughter who, with their fluent English, did help me. I know the daughter's age as the mother mentioned her daughter, at the age of 18, was off to Almaty soon to start college. Time for the young woman to be experiencing life independently of her mother was what I was told. The daughter shared how happy and proud she was to be attending the college of her choice. And then they boarded their train to Tashkent leaving me to fend for myself!

BTW - it was more comfortable to wait for the train outdoors. 

Train bound for Tashkent

Exterior waiting area












Almaty

I was blessed with an uneventful train ride into Almaty. I was also grateful that I had the two person cabin to myself. My cabin had its own toilet, sink and shower! What a luxury, combined with privacy!

My hotel was about a 30 minute walk/bus ride from the train station. My credit card was useless in trying to pay for my bus fare. When I got on the bus with my suitcase, a local resident older than me, gave me his seat so I could ride securely with my suitcase. The universe continues to be benevolent! I got off the bus one stop short of my destination as I lost my nerve about riding without paying the fare. 

I arrived at my hotel around 11 am, fully prepared for the consequences of showing up in advance of the 2 pm check in time. The universe continued with its benevolence. The woman at the reception desk was the kindest and most thoughtful person ever. She checked in me, giving me immediate access to my room. She said the room was ready, so it made sense to give me access. After all, she thought out loud, I had traveled a long distance in the heat, and would likely enjoy the chance to rest!

I discovered my hotel was located in trendy part of Almaty with walking distance access to a few key tourist sites I'm sharing below. My reason for choosing this hotel was the eight minute walk to the Holiday Inn Express hotel, my two day tour pick up location on the following morning.

Park on Astana Square

'Manshuk Mametova and Aliya Moldagulova are celebrated for their bravery and heroism during World War II. The monument unveiled in their honor on Astana Square in Almaty serves as a powerful reminder of their sacrifice. The monument portrays the girls in military uniforms moving to the beat of the march. Behind them, children release doves into the sky as a gesture of peace.'

Memorial of Aliya Moldagulova and Manshuk Mametova

Kazakh-British Technical University

I thought the area around this university was interesting and intriguing. Various art installations that welcomed you to the area. 

Looking at university from memorial

Engaging and playful



Interesting

Engaging and fun

Fun



















Ascension Cathedral

'Standing tall in Almaty’s famed Park of 28 Panfilov Guardsmen, the Ascension Cathedral (Zenkov Cathedral) is a marvel of both history and architecture. Built in 1907 using a unique, nearly nail-free technique, this wooden wonder has endured earthquakes and eras to become a cherished landmark.'

The cathedral was about a 15 minute walk through leafy boulevards and more parks from the university. This is my second wooden church that was built without (well, close) nails. It's construction is believed to led to its ability to withstand earthquakes over the years. The cathedral is located in the 28 Panfilov Guardsmen Park.
















































28 Panfilov Guardsmen Park

'Dedicated to the heroic soldiers of World War II, the park boasts monuments and memorials that pay tribute to their sacrifice.'

The eternal flame, reflecting pool and enormous black granite statue is an eight minute walk from the cathedral. 

Eternal flame

A park entrance































Green Bazaar

The last stop for my afternoon tour was the Green Bazaar. Unsure why I end up visiting bazaars as I have little interest in shopping. I did buy a couple chicken samsas to snack on. The link above has a wealth of information if you're interested. 


























Kolsai & Kaindy Lakes with Canyons 2-day group tour

Well, I'm back trying my luck with joining another group tour! This tour, which visited a number of key scenic destinations over a two day period, was the easiest and most cost effective way to see this scenic area in Kazakhstan. I did opt for a private room with an attached toilet/shower instead of staying in a yurt and having to make the walk to the shower and toilet blocks. 

We did experience a roadside breakdown that lasted about three hours. We were back on our way after about a three hour delay waiting for a part to be driven to our bus. Thank goodness for the mechanical savvy these coach drivers have in repairing their vehicles. I'm now experienced a vehicle breakdown of two of my three tours! Perhaps it's something to do with my presence! 😉

I'm more convinced than ever that Canada has more scenic and dramatic landscapes. I think my travels through the Canadian Rockies, as well as other Canadian destinations, influences my expectations of nature's wonder. The Kazakhstan landscape and topography is undoubtedly beautiful. The 'wow' factor of the local sights may be somewhat subdued. 

Kolsai Lakes

'The Kolsai Lakes (three in total), often hailed as the “Pearls of the Tien Shan,” are nestled amidst the stunning Kungei-Alatau Mountains about 300 kilometers east from Almaty.'

We visited Lower Kolsai Lake which is the most accessible of the three lakes. There was a boardwalk leading to dock where you could rent boats to venture out on the lake. There was a more rustic hiking trail on the lake's north side to stretch your legs. 

I had the most interesting encounter with two travelers, Yuanna and Lev, who I met while walking back to our coach. They had met a few weeks prior while traveling in China, on their way to Kazakhstan - all by local transportation. Lev was an Australian from Adelaide who had been traveling for three months. Yuanna was Greek who had been traveling for three years without returning to Greece. The last time she met up with her divorced parents was about a year prior when each of them joined her for a short period on her travels. Yuanna shared a heart stopping story about how she had experienced altitude sickness when she trekked to Everest Base Camp. She continued on trekking to a higher elevation in the midst of blinding snow. She said she was delirious, hoping all the time that if she lost her footing she would fall into the mountain on her left as opposed falling in the void on her right. I appreciate the sedate life, thankfully, when I hear a story like this!

Lower Kolsai Lake




Trail along the opposite side of lake.




Cafe overlooking lake

Staircase leading to cafe - all 227 steps











































Lake Kaindy

'Kaindy Lake, is nestled in the Tian Shan Mountains about 280 km (~174 mi) from Almaty. Formed in 1911 after a powerful earthquake triggered a massive landslide, the lake, with its crystal-clear turquoise waters, submerged a spruce forest.'

Another walking adventure to see a small lake with dead spruce trees rising from the water. 


River from lake

River valley

River valley

Lake Kaindy




Spruce trees reaching for the sky
















































Black Canyon

'This area is known for its dark cliffs and panoramic views of the Charyn River flowing at the bottom of the canyon.'

Is part of the 154 km (~96 mi) Charyn Canyon system.


























Moon Canyon

'Instead of vertical cliffs, the terrain consists of soft hills and pale rock formations shaped by erosion, creating a landscape that resembles the surface of the moon.' 

Is part of the 154 km (~96 mi) Charyn Canyon system. 













⁠Charyn Canyon

'Charyn Canyon is one of the most spectacular natural landscapes in Central Asia. Located about 200 km east of Almaty, the canyon is often compared to a smaller version of the Grand Canyon because of its dramatic cliffs, colorful rock formations, and enormous scale. It is a large canyon system stretching about 154 kilometers along the Charyn River, with several different sections that offer completely different landscapes.'

My million dollar question was whether the three km (~ 2 mi) walk to the Charyn River was worth the effort. I took the chance and went for the walk, which thankfully, was on a slight downhill grade leading to the river. It was a warm walk in the mid-afternoon sun. Keeping hydrated is so important. The heat can be unrelenting with the lack of shade in most parts of the canyon. My brief walk reminded of watching videos about people who hike to the floor of the Grand Canyon and the issues they encounter if they are underprepared. I drank almost two liters of water during the time I spent in the canyon, an amount of water that surprised me. Lesson learned!

I chose to pay for a taxi ride (in old Russian vans) back to where the hike starts. My hip was acting up leaving me concerned about returning to the bus on time. 

Answer to million dollar question - I enjoyed the exercise and the scenery. My continuing challenge is I've seen more dramatic and scenic canyons in my travels. 

Staircase leading to valley floor

Staircase to valley floor

Overlooking canyon

Overlooking canyon

Valley floor

Road leading to river




Entering the Valley of Castles

Interesting rock formation

Interesting rock formation

Interesting rock formation

Fellow travelers, including me, enjoying
the view!







































































Sunset - August 15

Enjoy the sunset we witnessed during our return trip to Almaty as we brought our two day overnight adventure to a close.










































Friends

We were blessed with a fun group of travelers from different parts of the world including South Korea, Australia, Taiwan, Switzerland, Germany, Italy, Poland, England which highlights our diversity. I had the gift of great conversations throughout the two day adventure. 

Our coach

Lunch in Saty (x2)

Karaoke evening

Youngest traveler - 7 years young



Group photo 
Green Valley Yurts camp



Group photo
Green Valley Yurts camp
































Next Week

I start the week in Almaty, fly to Cappadocia, Turkey early Tuesday am (5:25 am early) for four nights and end the week by flying to Antalya, Turkey on Saturday, August 22. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Zealand (North Island) - Week of January 19, 2025

Taiwan/Japan - Week of June 1, 2025

New Zealand (North Island)/Western Australia - Week of January 26, 2025